Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

No spark at the spark plugs no lights no mag. clutch. whats

Customer Question

no spark at the spark plugs no lights no mag. clutch. whats my problem
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Model number? Single coil with two spark plug wires from it? Is the ignition fuse blown? Single fuse, 20 amp, near the starter solenoid and battery? No lights mad no clutch, would seem there is no power to the keyswitch, And voltage has to come through the fuse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry to take so long.

modle no. 303777

type no. 1116-a2

code 97062311

7272

3 flat fuses checked with meter all good

2 round fuses one either side of the electronic circet checked with meter all good

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What is battery voltage? What is application? 5 fuses? The engine coils and the flywheel magnet is all that makes the spark. So you have kill wire being grounded by the key switch. The engine starter works, so the keyswitch has voltage. Lights may only come on when engine is running, but clutch should click, if you turn on the key and turn on the clutch. ??? Do you have a voltmeter or test light to follow the voltage trail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I have a voltmeter , I will try and trace through the wireing into & out of the ignition switch, the engine has two engine coils.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, two coils, if you locate the kill wire that goes to both coils and unplug it, the coils should spark. But it still needs to open the fuel solenoid at the carburetor for it to run. When you checked fuses, did you check for voltage past the fuses and fuse holders.