Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Anyone familial with a Briggs model number 290442 it's a

Customer Question

Hi anyone familial with a Briggs model number 290442 it's a v twin and it has a generator slapped on it no problems with the gen. I can't find any info on the engine and seem to have lost the timing and I'd like to know where the magnet on the flywheel when the two dots line up both valves closed but the piston still has some more travail to get to the very top before it starts it's downward travail. It won't start but dose pop some flame down the exhaust when I prime the bores with petrol help would be very much appreciated kind regards Gareth.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Engine model is the typical Briggs twin. Timing is set by the flywheel to crankshaft key,and the two timing gears internally. Have you checked the flywheel key? # ***** .Here is link to engine.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-horizontal-engine-with-recoil-starter/290442-0044-01-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I've only set at the sump end is it posable that one of the two cogs could be wrong I will check the flywheel do you recommend pulling it off.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

Gears are rarley marked wrong. the flywheel will need to be removed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Curtis can you tell me where the magnet on the flywheel should be relation to the coil i.e. just in front dead in the middle or just passed when the two dots are in line . I didn't mean that Briggs had marked it wrong I meant could someone have put on in the wrong place , I think what I would like you to do is tell me how set the timing from scratch I can't find any information on the timing . it's quite late at night here in the UK so will pull flywheel off in the morning. where are you to

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Never checked the marks on gears when magnet passes the coil! Marks don't change, and the coil has to be right on the magnet. But when you time the two gears, the piston will NOT be at TDC. Some engines may be at TDC, but not his one. Put the two marks together and the flywheel to crankshaft key, and it will be right!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Curtis when gears are lined up the magnet is just coming in to the coil so it looks like something is out a bit will resume work in the morning . I don't like jobs that I did not start you see someone else had already taken it apart and played about with it will let you know how it go's.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks