Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

My ride on mower made a loud clunking noise then cut out now

Customer Question

My ride on mower made a loud clunking noise then cut out now I can't get it to start. There was a smell of burning too like a worn clutch smell. And ver faint smoke and I mean very faint smoke coming from what I think is the starter motor. It was very low on oil too.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
So engine does not turn? Likely engine has broken! Low oil can cause the piston to break from the crankshaft. Can you turn the engine with a wrench using the flywheel nut on top? If engine turns, remove spark plug and feel for the piston with a probe. If piston is not moving, the engine is broken and is not going to start!