Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Curtis My Daughter has just mowed over a small tree stump

Customer Question

Hello Curtis My Daughter has just mowed over a small tree stump ,the engine cut out immediately.When trying to restart the engine is making a loud thumping noise and not starting.The cord can also be stiff at times
thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
This is push mower or rider? I assume push mower. Remove the spark plug wire and tip up the mower, and examine the blade, blade may be bent or damaged, or worse, the crankshaft the blade attaches to may be bent.! The crankshaft has to be perfectly straight. Blade can be replaced, but crankshaft can not be straightened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The blade is bent,is the crankshaft the thick small pole attached to the blade,if so i dont think this is bent.Would it be obvious to the naked eye if it was bent.Or can a small distortion cause problems.

thanks

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The thick shaft is the crankshaft. It has to be straight, within a few thousands
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Get a new blade and try it!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If engine does not start ,the timing key between the flywheel and the crankshaft may be sheared.