ranwell1
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 39 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
18770454

I have a Stihl HS76 hedge trimmer. (!999) It works very well

Customer Question

I have a Stihl HS76 hedge trimmer. (!999) It works very well when started from cold. But once hot is very erratic. I have changed all the components of the carb and am wondering if the ethanol component of modern fuels is causing a problem to this aged piece of machinery. The compression is good and it burns clean. Any ideas
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
The ethanol can be a problem with any of the units but not more so on yours than any other.One thing that will make a difference is that you MUS ALWAYS use PREMIUM gasoline and the STIHL brand oil (You can also use the (ECHO) brand oil.Since this problem is occuring when the engine gets hot, it sounds more like an AIR LEAK through one of the seals or gaskets. An air leak is hard to diagnose and repair.You could still have a carburetor problem as well, but I am guessing on the air leak.Try the new gas and oil and let me know how thing work.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of Large Small engine repair business. Over 39 years. Certified both 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines
Expert:  ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Another possibility is that you may have a scored piston and cylinder. You can check that by removing the muffler and looking into the exhaust ports at the piston and see if there is any scoring. If there is scoring, then you have a unit that is NOT repairable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have found the system very difficult to use. Initially the website would not give me the answer you have sent today! It only cgave an incomplete answer. When I clicked on the slot for the answer, it wanted another fee for the question!!!!!! So I became rather annoyed. Something is wrong with the site. The answer is good now that I see it!!! But as I could not see it I had to give a bad rating having spent £26.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unless I can be assured of a more straightforward system I doubt I shall use JustAsk again. Thank you

Expert:  ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you had trouble, the system is usually very easy to use. I don't know what was wrong. You should only be charged what you first agreed on. I have no control over the site . I just answer questions. If you find that you have been overcharged, simply contact the site and they will take care of it. I show that you have only been charged once.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I went to view response, the system did not give me a response but presumed I was asking another question!! I have finally got all the responses.

They seem fine.

Expert:  ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, your answers once I have received them are excellent, but the delivery system was not good, this needs to addressed to the promotors of Just answer. So I give you an excellent rating but not the delivery system!

Expert:  ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.