Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a 1966 engine Model 080302 type 0154. I have downloaded

I have a 1966 engine Model 080302 type 0154. I have downloaded a user manual which gives me a lot of information but does not tell me how to set the ignition. I have the engine partially stripped to regrind /replace valves but I am not convinced that this is the problem. When the engine has been running for some time it starts to misfire and looses all power. Once load is taken off it picks up again but starts to die as soon as load goes back on. I am keen to look at all options while it is in bits. Thanks for your assistance.
John Marsh
Scotland
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-horizontal-engine-with-recoil-starter/080302-0154-99-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/blower-hsg-flywheels-rewind/
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The engine came with points and condenser, under the flywheel. It least you want to renew them. But there is a conversion that can be added to ,get away from the points, so flywheel does not ever need to be removed. Check with your parts supplier fr the conversion or a need magneto that will not use the points!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I take it that you think there is a problem with the ignition or is replacement just good practise?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
I think your valves too tight was problem,but I would never have one down that I didn't renew the ignition system. Just good practice!