Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have recently bought privately a second hand Stiga

I have recently bought privately a second hand Stiga ride on mower fitted with a triple blade 110 cm wide front mounted cutting deck. The right hand side rear (viewed from the driving seat) blade is cutting too low and scalping the grass. Tipping up the deck shows the blade is cutting approx. 6cm lower but all the blades are new and straight. There is no provision within the deck for any adjustment of the blade shafts or bearing housings. I think the main deck has been damaged/twisted at some time causing the blade to cut low at that side - any ideas apart from a new metal deck casing?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
So it is off about a 1/4 inch. Blade is same distance from the deck at 90 degree increments, showing that blade is running true? That would make me think the spindle shaft is wrong length, or spacer is between the blade end and the pulley end, which could be in wrong location. For a small difference, a person can put washers between the spindle and deck mounting bolts, but 1/4 inch would be extreme and leave too big a gap. Do the drive pulleys show to be in the correct plane? All the same height?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked the spindle shaft etc and all the spacers - they are OK.
The bearing housing etc. which is on the low side can be swapped for the opposite and vice versa and is only too low at the offending side. This would indicate that the deck is out of true and measurements seem to confirm this.The drive pulleys show the same deviation.