Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a 455 Diesel Tractor Mower which when having run for

Customer Question

I have a 455 Diesel Tractor Mower which when having run for about 1hr suddenly falters and struggles to keep running even when I stop the mower drive and drive. After about 10 mins it will run again for 10mins then falter again. It apera to be an engine problem not hydraulic drive.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
455 has electric fuel pump in the tank. could it be stopping? Starving engine for fuel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The mower is at a scout camp site which I maintain and I wont be back there until Tuesday. I will take the pump out and have a look. I am puzzled that the fault only begins to occur when the engine has worked for an hour, presumably as it gets hot. Cooling system seems OK. Could the fuel shutoff solenoid have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
On 455 fuel shutoff is external and is only used to pull the kill lever on shutoff.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi John
Following your comment I watched the fuel cut off solenoid and found it did indeed keep shutting causing my problem. I have currently put an elastic band on to hold it open and removing it to stop the engine. There is obviously a fault in the wiring and I will trace this when I return from a holiday. Many thanks for your input it helped.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.