Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have that same problem of an inexplicable immobility. Engine

I have that same problem of an inexplicable immobility. Engine runs but the machine does not move. The brake does not work either. I rteleased the drive link under the seat in order to push the machine so I could change the tyre. When I re-engaged the release nothing worked as before. I cannot see anything that is obviously loose or stuck. It would be good to get it going again. My machine is about five years old and works very hard about 12 weeks of the year.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
How did it quit? Under use?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Could you push the machine in freewheel?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Brakes do not hold? Did you remove either of the rear wheels for flat repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Yes, I did remove a rear wheel to repair the flat.

I discovered the flat and had to detach a trailer. I then lifted the release mechanism (under the seat) so I could move the machine to flat ground.

After I replaced the wheel I re-engaged the release mechanism. However the machine would not engage either forward or reverse and the brakes did not work either.

So the problem arose not under load but with the engine turned off.

The machine can be moved easily by pushing and the brakes do not work

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You lost the key that holds wheel to axle! The axle is now spinning in the wheel. Go back and look for square key, 3/16X 2 inch.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
It will be where you took the wheel off!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are quite correct. I got there first because of responding to your questions. Of course I feel pretty stupid! There is a story of Nasruddin searching under a lamp-post for his key. Asked where he lost he points elsewhere "but there is more light here". I have now experienced being the mug in this tale. I was so sure that there must be a mechanical fault I didn't even think about the spline. Good questioning! All now well. Thank you.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! Please rate to close the question!