Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

What is the difference between a 31Q507 0001 and a 0003 are

what is the difference between a 31Q507 0001 and a 0003
are the ignition coils intrechangable
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Coils are exactly the same. the 0001 and the 0003 are minor differences as far as the throttle linkage is shaped. But the base 310000 series are are all exactly the same as far as the block,head, and ignition parts,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I have a problem with a weak spark, I have changed the coil and disconnected the kill wire, I have tested the spark with a B&S spark tester - no spark, I can see a faint spark when place very close to the earth frame. Could the problem be the magnet on the flywheel? and if so what can i do about it?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I have never seen a magnet that goes bad! Is magnet clean, if you remove the kill wire to the coil and test with spark plug removed and grounded, does the spark plug have spark? The only thing that makes the spark is the magnet and the coil. Weak spark can be bad coil, assuming you have tired a different plug.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The engine will not run? Are you sure it is spark an not a loss of fuel? The fuel solenoid in the carburetor is the # ***** item that keeps Briggs engine from starting. And best test is to replace it with bowl bolt, or a dummy solenoid for test.