Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators.
19372534

I have an 11hp &S engine 1986 vintage. Starts and runs

Customer Question

Hi I have an 11hp B&S engine 1986 vintage. Starts and runs great but after about 30 mins it will stop and will not start again until it is cold, I have tried to start it even to holding HT cable There is a small amount of power but not enough to create a spark.Then after about an hour or so it will start and run perfectly until it gets Hot and then I have to go thew the same routine. Please can you advise. Thank,s ***** *****.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.This is a sign that the coil is breaking down. When it is cold, it will run fine, but once it warms up, the circuit inside the coil opens, and won't create a spark until the coil has cooled back down, and remade contact. You will need to replace the coil, making sure to leave a .010" air gap between the coil and the mgnet of the flywheel.