spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Journeyman TechnicianWorked on small to large engines for 30 yearsGas,LP,Diesel
65057319

Perkins 6354 engine has a vibration like it is out of balance

Customer Question

Perkins 6354 engine has a vibration like it is out of balance but as you may no there is no balance. Weights in the engine ???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.What is engine installed in?This type of issue can be caused by a cylinder imbalance from a injection pump or nozzle, try running engine at whatever RPM you feel vibration the most,crack loose one injector line at a time 1/4 turn,you want to hear a definite miss and change in RPM.You want to first do this at idle when most misses happen, then do some more at different rpm ranges to find miss.Another way is to use a laser type temp gun ( click here) and check each exhaust port temp again at all rpm ranges,compare readings they should all be within 15 degrees of each other,,you may just need nozzles and set valves.Depending on application possible clutch or torque converter problem.Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know. If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.Thank You,spanky
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After loosening each. Injector pipe one at a time the mis fire was the same on all six
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay in responding, the site had me locked out of question.
Check fuel pressure to injection pump should be around 15 psi idle and 30 high idle.
If pressure is good bypass fuel line from inlet of transfer pump directly into clean 5 gallon bucket of fuel,,see if vibration goes away you may be getting air in fuel causing symptoms.
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check p s I on injector pipe
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to tap into fuel filter head on pressure side if you have two filters, otherwise you would need a tee at fitting going into pump.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do not understand what you use to check the pressure I am sorry I have been slow replying but been busy TB. Testing
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 12 months ago.
You have a fuel line going from fuel transfer pump to injection pump you need to tap into line or fitting so you can hook up a pressure gage.
I have had to braze a bushing in fuel line or fitting to install fuel pressure gage,then once pressure is checked and confirmed install a pipe plug to seal.
if you have banjo fittings any fuel injection pump shop can get you the fittings you need.
Then if you do have good fuel pressure you need a injection pump.
If not enough fuel pressure you need a fuel transfer pump.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.
Thank You,
spanky