Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Perkins 3 cylinder diesel 2318/1500. CM51027*U179015K*

Perkins 3 cylinder diesel 2318/1500. CM51027*U179015K* Approx 1992 fitted in a generator
Question : how do you remove the fuel injection pump ?
Note : timing case has a approx 5" twist to open plastic cover, when removed shows end of pump shaft 22mm nut and washer, when removed shows a key way I guess on a taper shaft + a plate with two threaded bolt holes I quess to fit a puller/ pusher which is easy to manufacture, but is this the correct method as the timing drive gear seems to be floating (not supported by a bearing etc) if this is the way the F/I pump is removed how is the gear held in place whilst pump is overhauled. Have been through Perkins info but can't find any engine that ties in with the info on engine plate. I have rechecked the engine plate and info given at start is correct.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Engine 3-152-4 . Gear should stay in position when the shaft is pushed out to release the pump. Mark the gear teeth before removing, in case it does move, so you can put it back in exact same place. Some older models have three bolts and a dowel pin that locate the pump to the back side of the gear. But this does not show that. But with the keyed shaft, pump will only go in one place, for timing.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The CM is what identifies the engine as the 3-152-4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** it in the morning after making up a press tool. I suspected that it was how it should come apart think I will clamp the gear not sure how untill I give it a go tomorrow.
Again thanks also for engine ID.
Jim
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.