Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a lawnmower powered by a Briggs and Stratton 450 series

Customer Question

I have a lawnmower powered by a Briggs and Stratton 450 series engine, which is about 4 years old, but very lightly used. It starts well, but immediately starts pumping out a lot of oily smoke and getting very hot. I have to switch it off after a couple of minutes as I fear it is going to combust.
Any thoughts on what I can do?
Mant thanks
Pete
PS can you keep it simple because I am not technically minded!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check your oil level. It should not be over full. and be sure it is not thinned from gas contamination. If over full or thinned from gas in the oil, the oil needs to be changed. The smoke is a result of oil in the exhaust, and as soon as the exhaust gets hot will burn out the oil, it may take up to five minutes, but it will clear up. The exhaust can get red hot, so don't be alarmed by it!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I responded to you. Did you see my answer?