Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I am working on a Perkins 4.108 on which the cooling pump is

Customer Question

I am working on a Perkins 4.108 on which the cooling pump is not working. I have replaced the impeller but have found that there is no drive to the pump.
Having removed the pump I find that the connection between the pump and the drive from the fuel pump is broken though I can not see how it was supposed to be connected. The Manual I have does only shows a breakdown of the pump ending with a notch at the end. This notch connects with a bar on a short cylindrical piece of steel with a flush end on the drive from the pump.
Has anybody any idea how the connection is made?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is this a marine pump? Do you have pictures you could attach using the paperclip icon above the typing bar? Coupling may just be a fiber cross and two cuts mate with pump, and to mate with drive. It would just be installed with pup, and not connected to anything,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid this does not mean anything much to me. Fibre cross and two cuts, pup?
I have three pics but the connection on board is bad tonight, i'll try and send them tomorrow.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
May not be a true cross. Look at these.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://www.google.com/search?q=,marine+water+pump+coupler&sa=X&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwiDl5CJy8PLAhUL32MKHR2HAlIQsAQIPQ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to send the pics using the +Add files button with no success.
No paper clip above the typing bar.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Look at the link above I sent!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the link you said but see nothing that seems to relate to my problem.
Did you recieve the pics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is happening, I am getting no response and need to repair this engine and move the boat! Can you help of not?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/5095.cfm