Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Qualcast Classic 43s. Running badly, new petrol, filter and

Customer Question

Qualcast Classic 43s. Running badly, new petrol, filter and oil, cuts out after a little while
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Any smoke? How long before it will restart? Have you replaced spark plug?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Restarting immediate, no smole
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should read no smoke, new spark plug
Briggs engine? have you drained the carburetor fuel bowl , to see if it may have water in it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
When was engine last ran? Seems to be lack of fuel getting into the fuel bowl, through the needle valve passage.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Today, runs for while 10 / 15 minutes then stops but restarts. Tecumesh engine
Is the fuel flow from tank to the carburetor open? No trash in tank that may be building up at the tank outlet?
You said yes before, I thought you meant Briggs engine. Did you mean you did check the float bowl for debris? You removed the bowl?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tank has been completely emptied. Refilled with fresh petrol. Seems like the carburetor is flooding
Flooding would show as black exhaust smoke and would be caused by needle valve and float not seating.??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Bowl checked but can check again Monday as it is evening here. Would I be able to get back to you if I wait until tomorrow.
Sure, I will be here. It's 1:37 Pm here in Texas.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I reseat the needle valve and float?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your reply about restarting conversation. Will log on again Monday
You can check them and see if there is debris keeping the needle from seating, and check the condition of needle and seat, and be sure the float will float in water. A new needle andseat might be needed.
There will be link in your email to get back here!
My response shows as customer again!
!!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good morning Curtis.
Early afternoon in Lincoln UK.
Problem sorted I think / hope, blockage in the fuel line from tank to carburettor. Only thing we never thought of.
There is a tiny cone shaped filter and this was blocked. Only found out when I pushed a rod through the pipe to check.
Seems to work properly now, thanks for your thoughts.
Michael
Good job! Please accept to close! 8:45 AM, Texas!
Thanks for the update!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks and goodbye, maybe we will communicate sometime in the future.
Thanks again.