Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Qualcast Classic 43s. Running badly, new petrol, filter and

Customer Question

Qualcast Classic 43s. Running badly, new petrol, filter and oil, cuts out after a little while
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Any smoke? How long before it will restart? Have you replaced spark plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restarting immediate, no smole
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should read no smoke, new spark plug
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Briggs engine? have you drained the carburetor fuel bowl , to see if it may have water in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
When was engine last ran? Seems to be lack of fuel getting into the fuel bowl, through the needle valve passage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today, runs for while 10 / 15 minutes then stops but restarts. Tecumesh engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Is the fuel flow from tank to the carburetor open? No trash in tank that may be building up at the tank outlet?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You said yes before, I thought you meant Briggs engine. Did you mean you did check the float bowl for debris? You removed the bowl?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tank has been completely emptied. Refilled with fresh petrol. Seems like the carburetor is flooding
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Flooding would show as black exhaust smoke and would be caused by needle valve and float not seating.??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bowl checked but can check again Monday as it is evening here. Would I be able to get back to you if I wait until tomorrow.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I will be here. It's 1:37 Pm here in Texas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reseat the needle valve and float?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply about restarting conversation. Will log on again Monday
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You can check them and see if there is debris keeping the needle from seating, and check the condition of needle and seat, and be sure the float will float in water. A new needle andseat might be needed.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
There will be link in your email to get back here!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
My response shows as customer again!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Curtis.
Early afternoon in Lincoln UK.
Problem sorted I think / hope, blockage in the fuel line from tank to carburettor. Only thing we never thought of.
There is a tiny cone shaped filter and this was blocked. Only found out when I pushed a rod through the pipe to check.
Seems to work properly now, thanks for your thoughts.
Michael
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Good job! Please accept to close! 8:45 AM, Texas!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and goodbye, maybe we will communicate sometime in the future.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.