Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Seems like my sit on mower engine ( briggs & Stratton 4145-500cc

seems like my sit on mower engine ( briggs & Stratton 4145-500cc ) has either seized or the starter motor has jammed, how do i free the starter?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try removing the spark plug to see if engine will crank. If starter is stuck, you will need to move the flywheel with wrench on top, to free it. But I suspect you have fluid on top of piston.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
With spark pug put and wrench on the top of flywheel does not free engine, it may be seized! Was it run low of oil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Curtis,No there is enough oil in the engine, so its noit that. I will try taking out the spark plug and loosening the flywheel, to do that do I just need to remove the briggs stratton cover?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try the spark plug first. Then yes, the top cover needs to be removed to access the flywheel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I managed to turn the flywheel manually with the spanner and then started it fine. Its working ok now. Could it have been grass stuck underneath causing it to jam?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have spark plug out, Was there any fluid in the cylinder? I doubt it was grass stopping it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Please accept to close and get me paid!