Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Mountfield HP470 lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton

Customer Question

I have a Mountfield HP470 lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton engine barcoded 0510215125799 and a stamped no. 068. It's stopped working, but I still get a spark which is yellow not blue. Any ideas? Ken Troy.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
did it quit under use? Did you hit anything that would have stopped the blades suddenly? Will it fire if you put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole? Is the flywheel magnet and coil clean? If it does not fire with fule direct into cylinder, the coil may be too weak to ignite the fuel. But before buying new coil, remove the black kill wire from the coil and check for spark again. The kill wire circuit may be the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Curtis. If the coil is faulty, has it got a part number so I can get a replacement? Ken Troy
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you see aanother model number? Example(###) ###-####B1 , I need model number to locate the correct coil. The bar code # ***** not help me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a label which says "Family 6BSX.1581VA" and a number "2002/88 0291 00". Does this help? Sorry to appear such a dipstick!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, there has to be another number, should be near or on the same label.. It will be 6 numbers, dash 4 numbers, dash, letter, 2 number. Example. 120t02-0123-B1 The first number may have letter in middle,