Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

What are the problems of using Aspen or similar fuel in my

What are the problems of using Aspen or similar fuel in my Briggs and Stratton-engined Viking lawnmower?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the mower in 2013 and was advised to use Aspen, but didn't start using it until last spring when I started getting fuel supply problems (water in petrol?). Now the mower is hard to start, runs rough, has a milky look to the oil. Someone has told me it is because I'm using Aspen and that it causes engines to overheat and shortens their life dramatically.
Is this true?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
NO, the milky look of the oil is moisture. You need to drain and refill with new oil. The fuel I assume has Ethanol in it? Ethanol can cause the needle valve seat in the carburetor to swell and cause fuel to be restricted to the carburetor. Try a new spark plug, and if no better, check the carburetor needle valve and seat. If it has an all metal needle valve, it will have a rubber seat in the upper passage for it to seal against. This is what can swell and cause restriction. Repair would be to install a new needle and seat.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lms_carb.asp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Similar to this one, but this one has needle with tip attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aspen fuel is ethanol-free and supposed to be cleaner and better for engines - a longer shelf-life etc. Here's the link: http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/. I'm using this alkylate fuel to avoid ethanol-related problems. What I want to know is, am I causing other problems by doing so?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
No, it will not hurt the engine to use the aspen fuel.