Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have an old Webb 24" lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton

Hi. I have an old Webb 24" lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton engine. It has not been used for some time and will not start now. It doesn't look as though there is a spark generated when I try to start it so wonder if the magneto needs replacing. However, it doesn't seem to be very easy to remove the old part as a wire from the back looks as though it goes inside the casing. Have you any suggestions as to what I should do. On pictures of more recent magnetos, this wire from the back usually connects via a plate on the magneto.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Need the numbers off the engine, or pictures. Will be stamped into the sheet metal usually above the spark plug area. Example(###) ###-####B1
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
This may be old model that has points under the flywheel. And can be converted to the newer magantron.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis. Thanks for the response. I have tried to find some identifying numbers but not been able to yet. It is certainly old - used to belong to my father-in-law and is more than 30 years old. The wire from the magneto seems to be connected to another wire running from underneath the carb but the join is hidden possibly in a sort of jelly covering.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Pictures you can attach? Have you sanded down the cover that goes over the spark plug area, number will be stamped into the metal. Magneto will have wires running under the flywheel if it has points. If not, the single wire will go to kill switch, usually on the throttle linkage, near carburetor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_125k02_ignition.asp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
See the above link.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Curtis. I'll have another look for the number and get back to you. There is a label on one of the panels with a serial number G-713063 but that may relate to the mower rather than the engine. If it turns out that I need to get a new magneto, should I be looking for any particular type? Most of the ones that I have seen advertised look to be a similar shape and design but have a spade connection for the kill wire rather than a hard connection like the one I have.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The type you have depending on the age of the mower, may be have points under the flywheel. Just picking one by looks is a gamble at best, ***** ***** screws can be different widths between the legs and can have wrong pickup location,which throws off the timing. If nothing else, follow the hard connection to its source and lets see where it goes. Looking at Web mowers, they look to use 5 hp Briggs engine, and can very likely have points. The recoil housing, would be where the numbers would be stamped, up on the top.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-ignition-Briggs-stratton-298316/dp/B000G62T4I
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/shop/parts-and-accessories/illustrated-parts-lists/illustrated-parts-list?modelnumber=130202-0681-99&ipl_id=159340
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your replies Curtis. I may not have a chance to look at the mower again for a day or two. Is it OK if I come back to you later?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I will be here. Do you see a ground wire on the coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis. Yes, there is a ground wire running from the back of the coil which runs down to a connection on the panel below the carburettor. I have found what might be the Engine No. - Model 130202 Type 0015 01 Code 79010907. I have also taken some photos of the magneto and the mower.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####01 is model number. Use 99 instead of the 01 and you will find parts list.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-horizontal-engine-with-recoil-starter/130202-0015-99-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Parts lsit!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
This s the magneto you want, It will replace the existing magneto and you do not need the wire to the pints. All you will need from the old coil connections is the kill wire to go to the coil.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Briggs-Stratton-397358-Armature-Magneto-Ignition-Coil-OEM-/221994005142?hash=item33afdfb296:g:v90AAOSwAKxWYZeT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much for your help with this. Just to finish off, can you explain why a new magneto does not need to connect to the points?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It has it's own internal trigger and no longer needs the points for timing the spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you. And thanks for all your help over the last few days.