Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

How do I remove the scarifiying blades and service bearings

Customer Question

How do I remove the scarifiying blades and service bearings on a Eliet 401 Scarifier? Have followed user manual instructions to remove reel but can't remove pulley wheel
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The pulley has the bolt and washer that has to be removed from the center of the shaft, but it also shows to have a set screw , allen head, that needs to be removed. Shows to be on the outside of the center hub. With loosened , the pulley should be loose, and can be pried off with two equal bars under the pulley and push it off!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Got the reel off and one of the bearings is not spinning freely so I suspect this is the problem. I can't get this of the axle. I've lightly sanded the axle, greased it but it's having none of it. How does this come off!!!!!!!!!! Also where can I find a replacement part. No luck on web search. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found a spare but still cant get old one off
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have access to a puller, that would go around the pulley and push the pulley off? They rust on and can be hard to get off, but a puller will do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the pulley off. I can't remove the bearing from the reel axle
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You can't tap it off? Bearing when new , just slips up on the shaft. Tap bearing on as far as it will go, then use sand paper to shin the shaft, then oil the shaft and tap bearing off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Did you get bearings off? Please ACCEPT to close.