Rick
Rick, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

The engine on my Hayter will start without any trouble and

Customer Question

The engine on my Hayter will start without any trouble and run well for a few minutes and cut the grass for about 20 yards. It then gives a couple of spits and stops. It will not start again immediately but after a while it will do. I have checked the carb and all is clean, but I have not yet checked for dirt in the petrol tank itself. Presumably this is either a petrol problem or an ignition problem. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
What engine do you have? Single cylinder or twin? Take a spare spark plug and as soon as it quits, remove spark plug wire, attach spare plug, and with the spark plug grounded to the metal of the engine. see if it has spark. If it has spark, we have to assume it is the fuel supply. Does the carburetor have a solenoid in the base of it? Solenoid would be anti-backfire solenoid, and closes the main jet , to kill engine.