Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

HOW DO I FIT NEW PUSHRODS TO A 16 HP BRIGGS AND STRATTEN VANGUARD

HOW DO I FIT NEW PUSHRODS TO A 16 HP BRIGGS AND STRATTEN VANGUARD WITHOUT REMOVING THE HEAD
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Just loosen the rocker arm, take the pushrod and feel for the lower socket the rod fits in on the lifter, with pushrod in the socket, slip the rocker arm over it, and adjust the valve clearance. Be sure the piston is up on the compression stroke or the opposite valve is down on the same cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From your answer I take it that you assume the push rods to be vertical , in my case the engine is still in the mower and unstripped therefore the pushrods are sitting horizontal not vertical , my problem is to keep them in position whilst I replace the rocker arm as there are no pushrod guides. Don
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
You have to hold the rod in the socket while you set rocker on it, then hold rocker down against the pushrod to keep it from falling, while you tighten up the rocker adjustment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Curtis will try that tomorrow and come back to you . Don
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK>Thanks!