Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Ryobi 3535CA chainsaw and I have removed the side

I have a Ryobi 3535CA chainsaw and I have removed the side panel to clean around the chain drive/adjustment area. It's all now clean but the when putting the cover back on the screw locking mechanism doesn't seem to engage. Any suggestions please.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.
Are you aligning the adjusting pin for the chain with the hole in the chain bar? If not, the cover will not go on far enough for the knob to catch the retainer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the response Curtis. Yes the adjusting pin is going through the hole in the chain bar and into the slot beyond. I've tried putting the cover on without the chain and bar and it locks on straight away. I've also tried cleaning under the various cover plates in that area in case sawdust was forcing them off the flat surface.
Is chain on the sprocket correctly, not holding the bar too far out?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think so. But I'll check that again to be sure.
The locking knob is not going in far enough, something, either the chain or the bar is too far out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've just tried it without the chain at all, just the bar and it still won't lock. I think I'm going to call it a day and say thanks, you've done your best and take it in for repair as what was going to be a half hour clean up of the saw has now taken 4 hours!
?? What is the bar hitting? Thanks,
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Curtis. I've just checked again, the bar is absolutely flat on the plate below and holding it up against the detached cover, it's flat there too. My only thought now is whether the thread on the locking system is worn as it only does a turn and a half locking it when the chain bar isn't fitted.
Thanks again.