Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Briggs & Stratton Series 3 115 in a Stiga ride on mower. I

Briggs & Stratton Series 3 115 in a Stiga ride on mower.
I drained the fuel and replaced for new season, and changed the spark plug.
There doesn't seem to be a priming bulb, and its electric start only.
The fuel is through to the filter but don't know how to get it "uphill" into the engine.
Is there a priming method ?
Ivan
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.
NO, is there a choke lever or choke cable to help in the fuel to the engine? Is there a three hose fuel pump between the fuel tank and the carburetor,or is it gravity feed from tank to carb? If it does not fire off, try putting a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole,re-install the spark plug and see if it will run.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes there is a choke lever, which i have been using.
It is a gravity feed from tank to carb, and the fuel filter is in-line between the two.
The fuel is through to the filter, but can't tell beyond that.
The teaspoon in the plug hole created one big backfire, but no more.
Can you remove the float bowl on the carburetor., and see if the float and needle valve are letting fuel into the bowl?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Having had a look at the carburettor I now see that there is a pump.
I see the three hoses you spoke of, and the small circular black pump.
Is there a means of priming it ?
NO, the pump is a pulse pump and uses the movement of the piston in the cylinder to power it. If you remove the P line (pulse), you should feel a slight pressure as you crank engine.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, thank you.
The machine is fairly young, and if the pump is faulty it may well be under warranty.
I don't want to take too much apart in case I invalidate warranty.
I may have to give in and put it back to the dealer.
Thanks for your help, anyway