Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I HAVE A JD SABRE MOWER WITH A 14.5 HP BRIGGS AND STRATTON

I HAVE A JD SABRE MOWER WITH A 14.5 HP BRIGGS AND STRATTON ENGINE MODEL 287707 TYPE 1274-E1. I STARTED IT AND WITHIN A MINUTE IT BEGAN TO BURN OIL (BLUE SMOKE) AND THEN SHUT OFF. I TOOK THE OHV COVER AND OUT DRAINED OIL AND GAS. CHECKING THE OIL LEVEL IT WAS OVER FULL AND SO WHEN I DRAINED THE OIL AND IT WAS A HEALTHY MIXTURE OF OIL AND GAS.
??? WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?? WORTH FIXING?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The carburetor needle valve and float are not shutting off the fuel to the carburetor bowl. Carburetor needs to be rebuilt or replaced. The leaking needle lets gas flood into the intake before the carburetor, and drains into the crankcase vent tube.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lmt_carb.asp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It happens when engine is not in use. A sure way to keep it from happening, is to install an inline fuel shutoff valve between the fuel tank and carburetor. The fuel/oil mixture in the exhaust will burn off as soon as the engine warms up.