Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a briggs 17.5 ic ohv engine on a craftsman rider

I have a briggs 17.5 ic ohv engine on a craftsman rider lawnmower it runs good for about 15-minutes then quits. I bought a new coil and put fresh gas in it. No change can you
Trouble shoot it Thanks Dave
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Single cylinder Briggs , How long after it quits, will it start again? If coil did not change things, check the fuel solenoid in the carburetor . When engine is cold listen for the solenoid to click when you flip key on and off. Learn the sound of the solenoid. Then when engine quits, flip key on and off and listen for the click. No click, no fuel. The solenoid has to keep the main jet open as long as the key is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It takes about 15 minutes to cool down and then I will start again and run for about 10-15 minutes and stop again do you think replacing the solenoid will solve the problem
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Don't change the solenoid without running the test. it sounds like a coil failing, so I would also check for spark when it quits, so take a spare spark plug and do the fuel solenoid test, then remove spark plug wire, attach the spare spark plug, and with the spark plug grounded, see if it has spark when cranking. Has to be one or the other!