Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

The Briggs and Stratton engine on my Hayter 1438 garden

Customer Question

The Briggs and Stratton engine on my Hayter 1438 garden tractor was running ok - but on taking it out yesterday it ran ok for about 60 meters then started to emitt a thick black smoke - I managed to get it back to my workshop (coughing & spluttering) switched the ignition off but I haven`t been able to start it since - the engine turns over ok on switching the ignition key ON but the engine refuses to start
There is a good spark on both plugs but they are both wet with fuel on inspecting them
I should add that I have had the machine for about seven years and this is the first time it has given me any trouble
What, do you think, might be causing the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Could the choke plate be closing the throat of the carburetor?Black smoke, , too much fuel. Air cleaner could be plugged with debris, choke can be closed, or the float in the carburetor may have failed! I assume this is the Briggs opposed cylinder flathead twin. With carburetor like this link.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my response?