Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have just taken delivery of my Briggs and Stratton wildcat

I have just taken delivery of my Briggs and Stratton wildcat mower. I started the engine left it idle as instructed and then turned it off. Now the throttle won't engage to the start position, I can't move it further than half way and therefore can't get the engine to start.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Remove the air cleaner so you can see the carburetor linkage and find the throttle cable. What is the engine model number> Wildcat 210000 does not come up under search. Here is a basic Briggs single cylinder throttle setup.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will go out and have a look at the model number. That 210000 was taken from the operators manual.

oK>

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3 130 series 344cc

Does not help. Briggs engine model will be example 28B702-0123-B1 . Did you look at the link I sent on the linkage?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Seems to me the throttle cable is too short
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
21R877
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
0015 B1

The cable clamps at the bottom of the outer casing. loosen the clamp, and move the cable to give it more throw, it likley has slipped under the clamp from not being tight enough. Link I sent should be your exact model.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Doesn't work. I have emailed the supplier. There's not enough give in the cable. Unimpressed with the wildcut mower at present.

Did you see the cable clamp and check the cable ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did it all looks fine.

did you try moving the cable under the clamp, to give it more travel?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't move it. It's so tight it won't budge. I've had enough. The bloody thing is brand new. This shouldn't be happening. I have sent a rather irate email to the supplier I will see what they say.

You would have to loosen the clamp with a nut driver!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't have the tools.

Screw driver?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I fixed it. I cut the cable ties that were securing the throttle cable to give it more play and retied them to another part which allowed the throttle cable to move freely.

Goof job! Thank for the relpy!

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.