Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Curtis. I am a member of an allotment association and we

Customer Question

Hi Curtis B. I am a member of an allotment association and we have an oldish B&S 4hp engined rotavator with some starting / running problems. Firstly can you explain how the chat/posting problems works, particularly what is cost for me?
Thanks, ***** ***** Nottingham UK
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Choke flap closes for start? Is carburetor mounted on the fuel tank? Has carburetor and fuel tank been removed and cleaned? Would you have model number? Stamped into the sheet metal above the spark plug arra. Example 123456=0123=B1

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Something like this , see link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just getting hang of this system!! I thought it was 11... series but no. stamped is 130292 3204 01
I have photos if that helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is photo
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The link I sent was the correct one. I would recommend removing th tank and carburetor and give it a good cleaning. Here is link again.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok this will take some time. How long does my question stay open before I get recharged for new question?
Also, I note there is a single wire going to terminal near throttle wire rack and bell crank. Understand this may be to short out points (and cut off engine) when throttle fully shut. Is that correct. Will search for manual now I have model no.maybe has more useful info?
Thanks Eric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Curtis,
Thanks for offer of free trial etc. Still trying to figure out how this system works , eg how you can answer me in 30 mins which implies you get little sleep! Guess another technician steps in. So do not want to be pressured into signing up for anything further right now which may be pointless as it could take me a week or 2 to strip down carb, get new diaphragm etc. Thanks for our suggestions so far. Eric
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** from home ,when we can, as contractors!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Says phne call can't be completed. What is your question, maybe we can address it without a call.??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis,
It is a bit complicated maybe, back with the B&S 5HP motor 130292/3204/01 on a rotavator . I have blown through jets as you suggested and replaced diaphragm with new B&S one [old one looked a bit tired]. It fired up first pull but only for couple of seconds. After exhausting time , got it to fire up again but only for a few seconds. Plug clean and not wet, compression feels good, tank half full. Slow run screw set at 1 1/2 turns out [could not remove jet as it appears pressed in not screwed]. Have fitted new throttle cable as old one kinked, good movement now from bell crank assy, from cut out position, slow then fast. There is a further position with "choke" marked after fast. Have no manual so not sure how to use this throttle lever with the
manual choke. To get it to fire up I seemed to have to have throttle lever at choke position and manual choke on. In this state the throttle butterfly is fully open which does seem wrong for starting but linkage is complicated with small spring etc., down by rack and bell crank, I guess this is some kind of mechanism to maintain speed under varying load?
Guess my main query centres around how to set manual choke and throttle lever for cold start and hot start, unless throttle linkage is at fault. Maybe try phone again before emailing, No. is uk access code [01144?] plus 1159 26 26 84. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe I should sign up for 7 day trial {£15?} or is £13 already billed for phone request? Eric
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I think the throttle/choke is not the problem. If it were, manually choking the engine would let it run. I think you are not getting fuel from the tank to the carburetor. The diaphragm is the fuel pump, and has to suck the fuel up from tank through the tube into the tank. Is the tube from tank ,vacuum tight and in good condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not had tank off but have looked and it looks tight and in good condition. Eric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the suction tube is tight and in good condition.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Good contact and gasket between carburetor mounting and tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have to check this out tomorrow, dark and 11pm here now. Guess I can heave this open for now. Eric
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis,
Tank removed and gasket checked..sound. Suction tube removed and blown through. After reassembly, Started first pull but run for only few seconds, this repeated after several minutes pulling. Plug relatively dry suggesting fuel starve? Any more more areas to check, manifold etc tight and compression feels good. Or is it a trip to dealer!!
Eric
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It has to be lack of fuel. And the carburetor has to be cause. Nothing else will do it. Is the suction tube vacuum tight, so the fuel pump diaphragm can suck fuel to the carburetor? Seems like either take it in, or replace the carburetor!