Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Briggs engine model 31P677 code 07 01 11ZE type

Hi I have a Briggs engine model 31P677 code 07 01 11ZE type 0804-E1
I have fitted a new carb,air filter and fuel filter. The engine starts poorly then runs fine for around 5 mins and then stops. Won't restart for some time.
Please help thank you. Howard
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Run spark test when it quits. Take a spare spark plug, and as soon as it quits, attach the spare spark plug to the spark plug wire, and with it grounded, see if you have spark when cranking. If no spark, your coil is failing and needs to be replaced. If it has spark, then check the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor, it may not be opening, cutting off the fuel supply. You should hear it click if you turn key on and off. No click, no fuel. It has to have 12 volts to work!