Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a 16 HP twin on a countax mower it stopped abruptly

Customer Question

I have a 16 HP twin on a countax mower it stopped abruptly and the engine will not turn over the oil seems OK but the little movement there is when the flywheel is rocked to and fro produces a knocking and I have not forced it . What do you think could have happened? Thank you Durwin
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how best to start to dismantle the engine and would it be best to remove it from the tractor. which is a C600HE
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It quit under use? Have you removed the spark plugs and looked for damage to either plug, which could indicate piston has come loose.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This is OHV engine, I would remove the valve covers and see if a valve may have come loose. If valve has coe loose, you may save engine by pulling the cylinder head and check for damage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked and I think the valves are OK
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

1st call no answer, 2nd call no answer.? Did you check the spark plugs and there is no fluid on top of pistons> If no damage shown on the plugs, and engine will not turn, check the pulleys on the bottom of the engine, remove the belts, to be sure belt has not jammed engine. Then if engine is still locked, I like to remove the cylinder heads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Curtis It turned out to be the bearing in the electric clutch mechanism Thank you Durwin
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Good job. Not a common problem. Thanks.