Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I recently purchased a 3800 5 reel mower, cuts grass

I recently purchased a 3800 5 reel mower, cuts grass fantastic.
Problem with the hydraulics holding up the centre reel and then the two rear reels. Centre reel would gradually lower in say two mins when I first used it but now 15 hours on it lowers within 10 seconds. Rear reels similar problem but don't drop as quickly. Two outside front reels never drop at all.
Where do you suggest I look, I have had the machine up on our workshop ramp to see hydraulic pipes going to a lift valve just in front of the axle but don't have any details on troubleshooting.
Any suggestions what I need to do?
Les Moreton
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Reels are held with hydraulic cylinders. The one that will not stay up, likley has a cylinder leaking internally. The others have similar problem, but cylinder leakage is not as severe. Resel the worst one and see if that takes care of it, then decide if you need to do the others.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** reseal the worst (centre) ram I will remove the Hyd hoses while on the ramp (ramp lowered) try putting steel blanking off caps on the ram connections and raise the mower off the floor as presently the reel drops a good 10 inches in between the raised ramps.
Worth a try?
Kind Regards *****
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

yes, test the cylinders.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I see question still open, did you find bad cylinder?