Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have got a Perkins sabre m215c fitted in my boat, it has

Customer Question

I have got a Perkins sabre m215c fitted in my boat, it has only done 2500 hours and I've just noticed oil coming out of the breather pipe which is connected to the air filter on the turbo, the oil level was down for the first time this time I checked, would you know what could be causing this please.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

High crankcase pressure causes oil to blow out the breather. But it can also be caused by fuel dilution of the oil, from diesel fuel getting into the oil, Does the oil smell of fuel, or seem extremely thin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil has no fuel in it but the level has gone down a bit. Could there be another problem?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Piston blow by or worn rings or valve stems. Anything that lets the combustion enter the crankcase. And the crankcase breather needs to be clean and working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can that be the case on an engine that has such little work?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It seems excessive for the number of hours, but it can happen. Boats typically have no air filters, so any dust/debris, or other contaminates can cause engine wear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine was in a twin engined charter boat and only done 2000 hour when I bought it, I changed the oil streight away and just done another 300 hours later. I have it direct drive to a Hamilton jet, could that cause a problem?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, just watch the oil level, and that will give you a chance to monitor the oil consumption. Some engines improve if they are run hard and get up to operating temperature. Running at lite load and idling around, can let oil be blown from breather and exhaust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I run it at 2200 when steaming to my gear as I'm a lobster fisherman, when hauling pots the engine is running at 900 rpm. Should you recommend anything different.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

no, that should be enough to keep it from slobbering. Is it running at 180 degrees or higher?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's running at 85-87 on the gauge
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Celcus, that should be fine, 185 F. Right what it should be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help and I will keep an eye on things.��
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis, it seems ok now, I remembered next morning that I got a lot of rope round the jet shaft and I think that could have built the pressure in the crankcase to blow the oil out.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK! Thanks for the reply!