Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Perkins 4108 early model, over 40 years old in my

Hi there, I have a Perkins 4108 early model, over 40 years old in my boat. Recently she shed a tooth on the crank gear,I have replaced this, also the idler and cam shaft gears. I have timed the engine to all the marks on the gears this looked fine. Turned the engine by hand now these marks do not realign. Does this mean the engine is not timed properly or is it just the way the engine runs? thanks, Alan.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It is ok, it will align again only after many turns, but if set initially it is in time, nothing to worry about. It does not come back to exact timing marks at each rotation, it may take 40 rotations to come back into alignment, that is the way it runs.