Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Could you tell me what to do please. ive put chain oil in

hi, could you tell me what to do please. ive put chain oil in where the petrol is supposed to go on my chainsaw. its a brand new Husqvarna 372xp and It has never been started.
I have emptied the oil out and put a bit of petrol in and shook it about then emptied it, then of coarse I put mixed petrol back in and ive tried to start it but its just not happening.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Try removing the spark plug and put a thimble of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, reinstall spark plug and see if it will fire. Be sure the on/off switch in in the on position.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yeah tried that, still nothing.

with spark plug removed and grounded do you have spark?

Why a negative rating?

If you didn't try to start unit with oil in the gas , there should be no oil in the fuel system, so it appears you have no spark, so the switch may not be on, or wire is off.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I will try that. I'm sorry I gave a negative rating but I thought that you had finished because all this other crap came up before you re- answered and I thought I had to sign up for a month before getting any more answers. I do apologise.
I have had the spark plug out and tried to start it and it gave me a bit of a jolt so I presume it has got a spark.

Spark plug clean? And it did not start with fuel in the cylinder?

It has no primer bulb, just the choke, to aid in starting, and shows to have decompression valve that is pushed in for easier starting. ??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that's right. The valve is pushed in, I've put petrol in the spark plug hole, I'm getting a spark and the choke is out.
I've even tried starting it with the throttle trigger pressed in but nothing seems to be working. When I tried starting it the first time it did rev once and then I put the choke in but nothing since.

I have a 455 and it has to be choked until it starts, then choke is pushed in. Sounds like it wants to run, just don't have the right combination. Too much fuel, or too little fuel! ???

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks. I will have to ring the supplier and see if he has got any suggestions.
I was hoping to avoid that because that foolish move will probably void my warranty.

Do you have a vacuum pump where you can remove the return fuel line at the carburetor, and suck fuel through the carburetor? That would clear any oil in the fuel line and carburetor??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm afraid I don't but I do have an airline. Perhaps I could blow it through!

Remove line at the carburetor and blow back into the fuel tank, then blow with light pressure into the carb and let fuel out the return hose..

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.