Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

My boat has a Perkins Sabre 135M 6 cylinder diesel engine

My boat has a Perkins Sabre 135M 6 cylinder diesel engine fitted. Yesterday I while cruising the engine suddenly stopped. There was no warning – no stuttering or gradual loss of power.
Another boater familiar with engines checked it out. The diesel tank is 3/4 full and fuel was available at points he bled along the fuel line. But there was no diesel fuel being pumped from the Injector pump to the 6 Injector valves. He tried to get the fuel through those 6 lines by loosening them in series and by turning on and off the ignition while attempting to start and restart the engine and by tapping the fuel lines, but to no avail.What do you recommend to solve the problem?
I am not knowledgeable about these matters.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: What sort of details are you looking for?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

At the injection pump, will be a fuel solenoid. See the link above. If it doesn't open the fuel passage, the injectors do not get fuel.

Solenoid has to have battery voltage as long as switch is on. Solenoid may have lost voltage, or the solenoid may be bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
After completing the Visa Card I was asked for my email address and password. When i filled in my email address i got a response to say this email address has been used before!! Does that mean you cant responnd to my query by email? Its my email address- whats the issue? I prefer a full reply by email as to what are my next steps as i'll have to pass the info to another person. Im not familiar with Diesel engines and Im also somewhat deaf to have a phone conversation. Can you oblige me by email please to***@******.***

Did you see my link and response?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I saw the link and response.Does that mean I am to replace the solenoid?

No , test solenoid or remove it and see if engine will run. does solenoid have voltage?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The man who checked it out believed it wasnt an electrical issue. He never saw a problem with an injector pump in 30 years boating. He is stumped as to what caused the problem and he seems to thing the Injector Pump needs to be taken off and sent to some one to calibrate it. Whats steps do you recommend?

Checking the fuel solenoid. If it is not the fule solenoid, Then the pump has to be removed for repair!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks for your patience and help. When i get some to attend to the problem on Monday can he phone you next week? If so whats your phone numher from Ireland please?

I'm in Texas! And phone call is extra and has to go through the site. But it can be done if needed. But overseas call might not work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Mr Curtis - Its not likely he'el be phoning you in Texas. Best wishes