Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a new, 3 month old, craftsman lawn mower. It is

Customer Question

I have a new , 3 month old, craftsman lawn mower. It is great. My son cut the grass and the grass was very high. The engine stalled and he tipped it over to clear the grass. When he restarted a lot of smoke was generated . He put the mower aside. I restarted it a couple of hours later and it started easily but , again there was a lot of smoke. What do you believe happen and what can i do to correct?
THANK YOU
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Check the oil level, and be sure it is on the full mark, not over full. Then crank the engine and run it at high speed, it will smoke for a few minutes and then clear up When mower was tipped, the oil got into the exhaust and will smoke until it burns out of the exhaust. It will not take long, and it should not have hurt the mower.