Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Can you help? I have an old 3HP 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton

Customer Question

Hi there,
Can you help?
I have an old 3HP 4 stroke Briggs and Stratton engine mounted on a Wolseley Webb Merry Tiller which I whis to restore.
The details stamped on the side of the pull cord cover are Model 80502 Type 0154 01 Code(###) ###-#### Difficult to read because of the slight rust.
The engine turns over but no spark.
Is a workshop manual available?
Regards ***** ***** (*****@******.***)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This engine has points and condenser under the flywheel. So this is something that has to be good , or the coil will not produce the spark.. Use model(###) ###-####99 to locate parts. the 01 does not work, but 99 will. This is the Briggs L head engine and here is link to a manual on Ebay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis B,Thankyou for your answer and have tried the link but this seller does not ship to the UK. Do you know of anyone that does?Regards Cliff
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.
I have ordered a copy of the manual from Amazon
Regards Cliff
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis,
Have received the manual from Amazon but unfortunately it is for models after 1981 and my engine is older than that.
Is there a manual covering 3 HP engines before 1981?
Regards Cliff
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

All Briggs are same setup, does this manual show the points and condenser under the flywheel? Your will be same!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having problem with correct spanners. Have ordered some. will contact again after removing the flywheel.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK> Thanks.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

See link above, there is a conversion kit , to replace the points, that way flywheel does not need to be removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,Have removed the starter recoil and the mesh guard.
Am I Okay to remove the clutch housing by using a ring or socket spanner on the hex shaft?
Right hand thread?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Right hand thread, and if it has the ratchet top, you can use a punch or hammer to loosen the odd shaped retainer, by bumping the outer portion, I don't think it will loosen with socket on hex shaft, but it may. I haven't taken one of these off in years!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the same has mine.
Do I need a special tool?
If so, what is it called
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Briggs makes a special tool, but I always used a punch and hammer on the outer ears!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have removed fly wheel, Thankyou.
Removed the points and condenser cover but had trouble because of a blob of adhesive of some kind holdind the cover on.
Could this be my problem.
Has the condenser or something leaked?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, it is a sealer used to keep the cover from getting dirt in it. Not condenser leakage.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my link on adding a conversion, so you don't need the points and condenser?