Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a wolf Craft generator, circa 2007. Type PC720LR

I have a wolf Craft generator, circa 2007. Type PC720LR Serial [I think] GF127 061121.
I haven't needed it for some time but when I came to start it it wouldn't. I have lifted the tank and all the connections seem ok but I can get no spark although the plug is like new. The geny has about 10 hours on the clock when it was used for a project for which it ran perfectly. It seems a shame to toss it in the skip. Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No spark, and all that makes the spark is the magneto/coil and the magnet in the flywheel. On the coil is a single kill wire, unplug the kill wire and check for spark. If it has spark, trace the kill wire back to the kill switch, the kill circuit is shorting out the spark.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I disconnected both wires to the kill switch. Still no spark. Should the switch be normally open or normally closed to allow engine to run?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Coil has to be grounded to kill the spark. so I would assume the switch would be N/O in run position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try again.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If no spark, the coil is likley bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so or the HT cable. I put a tester across the kill switch and it is ok. The coil on the engine seems to be in two parts, one round and the other square. Also the plug connector is a metal clad hefty affair not like the plastic jobbies you get on a bike or car. Is there anything special in there?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I don't think so , but i don't have parts or service manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will leave it there. Much of the stuff is sealed units. Not sure if I can get spares and it seems a shame but If I can't then a new generator is not a huge amount. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Parts shows to have igniter and coil! See attached file above for spares/