Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have an Mtd platinum 75 ride on mower Everything runs fine

I have an Mtd platinum 75 ride on mower
Everything runs fine but today it has lost drive
Can't go forward or backwards
There was a spinning noise for quite a while after I had turned the engine off
It came from the rear axle
Any ideas please
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

Full Model number? Drive bet between engine and transmission turning the top pulley and fan on top of transmission? Fan may have broke and was noise, and has broken the belt!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's an Mtd platinum 76 sd
On the body there is 25/107h
Is that the model number
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Belt in tact
Sorry

Model number will be example 13W1243b560. Is the top pulley turning on the transmission with engine running and clutch out? Look up under fender to see it. Drive belt is above the deck drive belt.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Apologies
Predictive texting
It's an Mtd platinum 75 sd
13A1793g686
Sorry the mower is in my workshop 200yds away
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Model number does not show to be correct. Here sis one I picked. See if this has the same drive. Link below.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry
My workshop doesn't have lighting so can't check transmission or pulley spinThere were 2 numbers under the seat
1st number
13A1793g686
2nd number
AEO97L10022I'm happy to ring you if it helps
If I can have your number
It's my call to pay for
My tel number***********

No need for a call at this time. Did you look at the link I sent showing the drive belt arrangement? And need to find if the belt is turning the pulley on the transmission. Will mower roll in freewheel position? Or could the brakes be locked?

And your model number is ***** shown under MTD.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Free wheeled fine and foot brake works ok
As far as I can see it has a single belt around the pulley over the rear diff , the belt then goes under the engine but I can't tell how many pulleys between diff and engine.
I've assumed the two numbers under the seat contain the model number. The only other number I can see is the logo 25/107h
It will be easier if I can look in the light in the morning if that's possible

Did you look at the blet link I sent? Is this look like yours? Need to verify your model number when you can. Link is below.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will give you a better idea in the morning if that's ok
I appreciate your patience but I'm 69 and it's a bit of a sprint up and down and I'm looking underneath the mower by torchlight.
Can I ask if the pulley has a shear pin or anything because i can check that in the morning as well
Also am I in the right place under the seat for the model numbersAgain appreciate your patienceRegards

Sure, I'm 70 myself, and the pulley has a woodruff key that keeps it from turning on the shaft.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I appreciate the help
As you probably gathered in not an engineer

Good, engineers over think everything!

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It looks like the layout you've suggestedAppreciate the help
Sorry about time lag, I'm having a new roof on garage and I'm in and out