Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

Chain saw has not been used for a few years. Very difficult

Customer Question

Chain saw has not been used for a few years. Very difficult to pull cord. How can it be started.
PB
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Did you remove the spark plug and spray cylinder with carburetor cleaner and purge the cylinder to get any old gas and oil residue washed from the cylinder? If engine is still hard to turn, look at the clutch release clamp and spring, it may be dragging ,causing saw to be hard to pull.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I did not remove the plug. What is carburetor cleaner - ie brand name - if I pour a small amount on fuel mixture into the plug hole will it do the same job??

I like the Berryman brand of spray carbuetor cleaners, sold at most any auto or retail supply . And no , the gas fuel mix will not melt the deposits like the carburetor cleaner will. Looks ie we may have a big time difference, I'm in Texas, an it is 7:00AM. I will not call at this hour!