Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

11 Hp Lawn Tractor from 1986 (westwood/ briggs& stratton)

11 Hp Lawn Tractor from 1986 (westwood/ briggs& stratton) starts fine from cold and runs OK. But if stopped when hot and left for a say 5/10 minutes it will not start until it has gone cold, a new spark plug has been fitted which fails to cure the problem. What is the most likely cause of this fault, it has been around for some time but is getting more of a problem.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

When it will not start, do you have spark at the plug when cranking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don`t know at the moment will check the machine and get back after lunch about 1530 hrs . Alex

oK> if no spark, your coil is bad. If it does have spark, what is engine model number? With the older flat heads, valves can wear and loose all clearance, causing power loss and no start when hot.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I appear to have no sparks at the plug which seems to be the problem. Certainly a cheaper option to the head wearing. Do you stock coils , if so how much.

We are an answer site, we don't sell parts, and you will need the numbers off the Briggs engine to get the right coil. Numbers will be stamped into the sheet metal cover, just above the spark plug location, example will be(###) ###-####B1

I see question is still open, did you see my response?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have solved the problem with a second hand replacement coil,getting a new one proved very difficult So your input save me a lot of time. I am a little surprised that I had not thought of a faulty coil. I had always though it a fuel problem. I think that the query is now closed. Thanks for your help. Alex

Thanks! Please rate using the 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

You have to use the rating chart on the customer side!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

Thanks,

GOT It!