Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Service manager and technician for all brands of engines with 40 + years of experience.
30244710

I have a Briggs Stratton V-T Twin 16 HP on a generator

I have a Briggs Stratton V-T Twin 16 HP on a generator engine Model # 303447. It used to be a real horse, built a house with it for power. Had not used it for some time.
Put new fuel in it, new fuel filter, new fuel line, new needle in carb (it was spewing fuel out the carb drain), plug gaps are good and clean, its getting fuel in the carb bowl, adjusted valve clearances, not sure of load setting (have tried various turns of the knob in each direction) have used starter spray but it stops as soon as that is ignited. The electric starter will spin but does not pop out and engage so I am using the pull cord.Long and short, it will not turn over and run. What am I missing here? Thanks, Bill
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Is there a solenoid in the base of the carburetor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, no wires, mounted on center of intake manifold.

Then you have a carburetor problem. The float and needle valve, or the fule pump section of the carburetor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am attaching photo showing carb bowl has fuel. When I first tried to start it it was spewing fuel from the drain each time I pulled the cord. So I cleaned the needle seat and replaced the needle valve with new. Since, the spewing has stopped, the valve is doing its thing and the float is working. Fuel level appears correct.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am also including pic of spark armature.

OK< but have you removed the carburetor and cleaned all the internal passages . If the main jets are not open, the fuel does not get sucked into the cylinders.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will be cleaning carb inside/out tomorrow and report back

OK>

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Curtis B.:
Per your suggestions, I have removed the carb., cleaned all the passages with carb. cleaner. The carb is getting fuel but will still not turn over. What else is there? The fuel is good.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

You say , will not turn over.?? Engine does not start? Do you have spark? Will it start if you put fuel into the carburetor or directly into the spark plug holes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Curtis
Thank you for your patience. I have attempted to apply all your advice to this engine and still no success in getting it started so I am taking it in to a small engine repair guy and let him figure it out. I appreciate your advice And will now rate your advice since we are now done here. BillK