Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators.
19372534

Have just bought a Wolf 7500e. Starter motor switch did

Have just bought a Wolf 7500e. Starter motor switch did nothing when it was unpacked. Started it manually and left it running for an hour to trickle charge the battery. Now the starter motor sometimes makes a series of clicks when the starter switch is depressed and sometimes does nothing. But it never turns over the engine to start the generator

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

First, check the battery cables to make sure all connections are clean and tight, and that you have the proper cable on the proper battery post.

But this sounds like you have a bad battery. If the cables are good, take the battery in and have it load tested.

Let me know what happens,.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My battery charger says the battery they supplied is full. It also gives a 12v reading on my voltage meter. It still just gives a few clicks from the starter motor when I press the start switch. Maybe I should try wiring in a more powerful 12v battery? I could take one out of my car...
You can't go by a meter. A battery can read fully charged with 12 volts, but not have enough ampacity to do any work. The only way to test a battery is by doing a load test.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Doesn’t the battery charger do that? It is refusing to charge the battery because it says it is full
A charger does not test a battery. You need to take the battery in to have it tested.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Would it also be sensible just to try another battery?
You can try that if you have one b