Vinod Menon
Vinod Menon, Customer Service
Experience:  Experience in supporting and using smartphones.
51110040

How do I permenantly delete contacts from my phone. I deleted

Customer Question

How do I permenantly delete contacts from my phone. I deleted them from my contact file but they then appear in the new message box if I want to send a text to a number of people.I have an iphone4s
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 3 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

What version of iphone do you have? To find this, go to settings > general > about and you will find the version there.

And did you mean when you try to compose a new message, the deleted contact still shows up?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi VInod. I have an Apple iPhone 4S
Yes, it is an iphone 4s, but I need to know the version on it.

To find the version, on the iphone, go to settings > general > about and you will find the version there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's an iphone4s and yes deleted contacts still show up in the new message screen.
Let's try a reset first.

Press and hold the power button and the home button (the round button below the screen) together until you see an apple logo.

Let me know whether this resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried a reset but it didn't work

I thought you missed me.

On your iphone screen, click on the "settings" icon. Now go to "general" and then to "about".

Could you please tell me the "version" listed there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's a 6.1.3(10B329)

Does the issue happen when you try to compose a new message OR a new email?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
New text message. If for example I want to send the same message to say Steve Dutchman and Deborah Salter I get every contact as a possible recipient who has an S in their name including contacts I no longer have in my contact list.
It could be a glitch in the iphone software itself.

When you open the messages app, do you have any messages from that deleted sender?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No mate. Nor is the deleted contact anywhere in my phone contacts, missed or received calls. It's only when I want to send a message and rather than scroll through contacts I use the New Message window to type in name or names that the deleted contact appears
I am sorry, Dominic. If your contact is nowhere in the contact list and if all his/her messages are deleted as well, then it is a software glitch within the iphone.

to get out of it, you might need to restore the iphone to factory settings. Do you wish to do that? It will wipe everything on the iphone, so I would go for it only if you have have a copy of everything.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will leave mate for now till I can work out how to back everything up, wipe the phone then restore it again. Thanks for your help anyway mate
you are welcome!

Let me know once you are ready. We can do it together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it difficult to do or can a technophobe like me do it?
It is easy once we have icloud enabled.

Otherwise you can also take it into any apple store nearby and they might do it for you if it is under warranty.