Nick H.
Nick H., Smartphone Specialist
Experience:  Support Smartphones for more than 5 years.
63271161

im trying to use my iphone 4. Iv requested it be unlocked from

Customer Question

im trying to use my iphone 4. Iv requested it be unlocked from vodafone and iv had an email saying it is now unlocked but it still saying the sim i have installed in the iphone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. what do i do?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is Nick and I will help you today.

You will have to restore the iPhone to have it UNLOCKED. Please do the following steps:

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

2. Ensure the original SIM card that came with this device is inserted in your iPhone.

3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.

5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

6. Test to see if your iPhone will recognize your current SIM card.

Please let me know how it went. Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi there

I am unable to put the original sim card into the phone as i bought the phone at christmas time and the person i bought it from unlocked the phone.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jeni,

That is fine. Just do the Backup. Then Restore your iPhone with iTunes. Try to activate your iPhone with iTunes first. If that did not work, you will have to find a Vodafone micro SIM card. New or used from another phone. That should do it.

After activated, just insert your current SIM card into iPhone and it will work.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

iv put in a vodafone micro sim, connected it to itunes, backed it up and reset the settings but the phone is still coming up with no service?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jeni,

You need to do a Restore. If possible, do a Restore and update.

When done restore, remove the Vodafone SIM and insert your SIM card. Does the iphone show signal and service?

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi there

i have inserted an vodafone micro sim, done a restore and update then remove the vodafone card and inserted the new sim card and itunes is saying the sim card inserted in the fone does not appear to be supported and the phone still has no service on it.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jeni,

After the iphone restored, did iTunes say that your iPhone is now unlocked?

Make sure that when vodafone says you can unlock with itunes, you need to wait for 24 hours. Then restore with iTunes. If it has been more than 2-3 days, you might need to contact Vodafone again.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it didnt say it was unlocked after the restore. i had a confirmation email from vodafone a couple of days ago and i spoke with them today and they confirmed it was unlocked.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.

If that is the case, you might want to test with another SIM card. See if it was the SIM issue or the phone is not UNLOCKED.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi

i tried a sim card from another network that i know work perfectly and its still saying sim not supported.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your update. That means your iphone is not unlock. Please try to restore your iphone with another computer and see if iTunes will say that your iphone is now unlock after restore.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i dont have another computer that i can do the restore on, is there anything else i can do?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Jeni,

I buy and sell iPhones. This is a COMMON procedure. After the phone company told you to restore, you just connect the iphone to computer and restore via iTunes. Then your iPhone will be UNLOCKED.

They say you need the original SIM card. However, you can use a working Vodafone SIM or an out of contract Vodafone SIM will work.

If your iphone does not work with another SIM card after the restore, they did not send your iphone IMEI to apple for unlock. You will have to call them again and told that you have worked with a phone tech and confirmed the steps but your iphone does not work with another SIM card.

Nick