Randy SmartphoneTech
Randy SmartphoneTech, Technician
Experience:  Smartphone technician.
62741268

I cannot pair my iPhone 4s with the bluetooth on my iMac desktop.

I cannot pair my iPhone 4s with the bluetooth on my iMac desktop. They can "see" each other but each time I try to connect I get "Connection failed" message.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Randy SmartphoneTech replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

Please try this first on your iPhone, follow these steps>

Tap Settings.
Tap General.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap Reset>Tap Reset Network Settings.
You will get a prompt warning you that this option will delete all network settings and return them to factory default settings. Tap Reset to continue.
Wait while your iPhone resets its network settings.

Once the reset process is done, your network settings will return to its factory default settings. Your iPhone will also automatically restart. Then remove the iPhone from the Mac Using the Bluetooth preferences, select the device you want to remove to highlight it, then click the minus sign. Then try reconnecting your iPhone to the Mac again.

After you pair the devices, a passkey is stored and authentication occurs automatically during future connections. The passcode is usually needed only once during the initial setup of the wireless device. Be sure to enter the passcode on the iPhone and Mac.

Use the Bluetooth Setup Assistant to set up your device to work with your computer by “pairing” the device with your computer:

• Find the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar in the upper-right of your display.
  • Choose Set up Bluetooth Device from the Bluetooth status menu.

If the Bluetooth status menu isn’t visible in your menu bar, use these steps to open the Bluetooth Setup Assistant:

• Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then choose Bluetooth from the View menu.
  • Enable the "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar" option.

After you pair a device with your computer, you should see the device listed in Bluetooth preferences.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Randy,

I've done all that -reset settings, removed my iPhone from the list of devices, detected my iPhone and asked to pair it, a Passkey appears, my iPhone tells me that my computer wants to pair and asks me to confirm the Passkey displayed on my screen. I touch OK, the device briefly connects bunt then disconnects. My iPhone tells me that the pairing has failed. Where do I go from here?

Usually resetting the iPhone network settings will correct this. It sounds like the iPhone is the causing the issue. The only option left is extreme, it requires backing up all of your data on the iPhone and then do a factory restore on the iphone. Go to settings, then iCloud and back up all content. Then go to settings , then general and scroll to reset and choose erase all content and settings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Randy,

Done all that, erased all content after backing up on iCloud, downloaded again and reset phone, trying to connect via Bluetooth gives me exactly the same results. The computer says "connected" then disconnects immediately. In top right- corner of screen "Network is unavailable". Phone says "Pairing was unsuccessful". What now?

okay, sorry about that. Please try this, before the bluetooth pairing make sure that the iPhone Personal Hotspot is turned on.
Randy SmartphoneTech, Technician
Experience: Smartphone technician.