Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

Dear XXXXXsung,I recently bought a Samsung GT-S3350 phone.

Dear XXXXXsung,

I recently bought a Samsung GT-S3350 phone. I've been able to access my work e-mail through google but when I try to reply to e-mails I don't know how to get the text to start at the top of the reply box. Instead the reply currently appears at the bottom of the message I have received and I am unable to move back up the text to start at the top of the reply box. Can you tell me how I can start my reply at the top of the page and/or more up and down once I've opened 'reply'? Thanks! Siobhan
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.

The problem might be with the conversation thread display. Gmail has a conversation view that connects all messages in a thread together.

The problem with it is that it displays them in chronological order with the oldest message first, so that you cannot see if you have a new message. This feature can be disabled on www.gmail.com. Just login with your gmail address and go to settings. Deselect conversation view and save your settings.

If this answer solves your problem to your satisfaction, please be sure to rate my services with a good or excellent rating. I only get compensated when I receive a positive rating.

If you still have a problem after implementing this remedy, please let me know, and we will try something else. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Technician,

This is not the problem I'm having. I'm logging in to a work e-mail (dmu webmail). I can read the e-mails (and the threads of them fine). The problem is that when I press reply and it opens the reply box, the only place it will allow me to insert text is at the bottom of the message to which I'm replying. Obviously, I want my answer to appear at the top of my reply so that the person I am replying to can see it easily. What I need to know is how to move from the bottom of the sent message to the top of the reply without the message box becoming inactive. Thanks.

Siobhan,

Unfortunately, I have no control over how webmail chooses to enter and display message threads. They consider the original message to be the most important identifier in the thread, and by design, they want to place the reply secondary to it.

The problem that I have with that is that when I look at my messages listed in my inbox, I cannot see if I have received a reply without opening the message string.

The only remedy for that is to opt out of the conversation view. This is possible with gmail, as I have already described. I do not know if it is possible with your web mail from work or not, since I do not know your email address or password. (This system does not permit those parameters to be passed in chat or Q&A messages.)

THIS IS THE BEST ANSWER I CAN GIVE YOU. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY LEVEL OF SERVICE, PLEASE INDICATE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THIS ANSWER WITH A GOOD OR EXCELLENT RATING. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY SERVICES WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING.

Regards.

Joel Kalman, Electrical Engineer
Experience: I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
Siobhan-
It has been a pleasure working with you. If there is anything else I can do to assist you with your smartphone, computer, or printer, please let me know. You can ask for me by name. Thank you for allowing me to be of service.
-Joel