John T. F.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+Yrs in the computer/electronics service industry
60674955

My ipad wont accept or send emails. It refuses my user name

Customer Question

My ipad won't accept or send emails. It refuses my user name and password. I suspect that it's a password ***** because I tried to change it when BT sent an email asking me to. I telephoned BT who gave me a new password ***** my laptop now sends and receives emails but my ipad still won't. I was told that I should contact you as the BT adviser I spoke to on the telephone wasn't trained to deal with ipads.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Usually in cases like this where there are account issues, it's best to remove and re-add the email account to the iPad to ensure all settings are properly updated.

TO REMOVE ACCOUNT

From the home screen, tap Settings.

tap “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”

From the Accounts section, tap the email account you wish to remove.

tap “Delete Account”.

tap “Delete” to confirm.

TO ADD ACCOUNT

In Settings > “Mail Contacts, Calendars”…

In the Accounts section, Tap “Add Account”.

tap your email provider, or use "Other" if not listed

Follow the onscreen steps and provide the required information to configure your account. In the boxes provided you should enter your name, complete email address, password, and a description of the account.

Once you’ve entered your information, in the top right, tap Next.

After your account has been verified, in the top right, tap Save. (Note: Make sure that the Mail option is turned ON.)

When the account setup has been completed, test that it works properly.

If you still have concerns, please do not negatively rate my answer, simply reply back before rating. I'll be more than happy to work with you further. When we are finished, please give my answers a positive rating so I will be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,
John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have carried out all the steps and now my inbox is showing no emails at all.

Do you see messages in the inbox on your laptop? Are you able to send and receive messages from the iPad?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My laptop's working fine. Still no messages either sent or received on my ipad since 7th June.

To clarify, did you just try sending yourself a test message from the iPad?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've just tried to send a test email. It sounds as if it's sending but then a text box comes up to say "cannot send email - the user name or password for *****@******.*** is incorrect.

Ok, can you tell me the part of your email address after the @ symbol, please?

Thanks,
John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

btinternet.com

Ok,

From the home screen, select Settings.

Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

From the Accounts section, select the email account.

Under Account, can you tell me what it lists for the incoming mail server?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Host name for the incoming mail server is btinternet.com

The outgoing mail server shows the same name but it is in faint grey rather than in normal sharp print.

Ok,

please change the incoming mail server from btinternet.com to mail.btinternet.com

Make sure user name and password are entered

Tap SMTP, select the Primary SMTP Server

Change it to mail.btinternet.com

Authentication should be Password

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello John,

mail.btinternet.com is now Primary SMIP Server but still no joy!

Thanks for keeping on trying.

Felicitie

It's a curious issue.

Can you tell me what Port it lists for the Primary SMTP Server?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, John, you just exceeded my limited technical knowledge. What's a port and where do I find it?

No worries! It should be listed on the same page where you changed the Primary SMTP Server previously.

From the home screen, select Settings.

Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Under Account, Tap SMTP, select the Primary SMTP Server

It should be listed there along with user name, password, etc...

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. The server port is 465.

A thought - just to confirm that I've received your 'Just answer' messages on the ipad from 19.35 backwards and it's been trying to send my two test emails but has given up.

By the way, you do explain things very clearly so that I can find the info you need. Thank you.

Felicitie

You are welcome! I try to spell everything out as clearly as possible when I can.

To confirm, you are now receiving mail through the account but still can not send?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that's right. I know because I've just received one timed 19.47. There is a small message at the bottom of the inbox saying: "2 Unsent Messages" which would be my test messages to myself.

Ok, good. It appears we are half-way there at least.

Please delete the unset messages from the iPad.

Then let's verify outgoing settings once more;

From the home screen, select Settings.

Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

The Host name/Server should be mail.btinternet.com
User Name should be you complete email address
Password should be entered
Use SSL should be enabled*
Authentication should be Password

Note if everything looks identical to the above and no changes were needed, temporarily disable Use SSL to see if a new email will send.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I delete the unsent messages. They don't appear in 'drafts. Where else would I look?

You should see an "Outbox" folder among your list of mailboxes.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I realised that after I had hit 'reply'. Unsent messages now removed.

I have all the above except when I hit SMTP it gives me the primary server which is mail.btinternet.com then lists acouple of other SMTP servers, both of which say mail.btinternet.com but there is no mention of 'Use SSL'.

Okay, you need to actually tap the Primary SMTP server and then it should give you the list of settings.

On the additional SMTP servers listed, you should tap them and then there should be an option to delete those servers. Please do so. You should end up with the Primary SMTP server listed and no other servers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Found SSL now, I didn't tap quite far enough. Deleted one other server. The other is still mail.btinternet.com but it's marked 'off'. When I had a look at it, it was my husband Colin's email. I hesitate to delete that as it's marked 'off' anyway and if he loses his emails, the sky will probably fall in!

Ok, yes that one should be fine to leave if it's marked as off.

So were the following all correct?

the Host name/Server should be mail.btinternet.com
User Name should be your complete email address
Password should be entered
Use SSL should be enabled*
Authentication should be Password

Again, if everything looks identical to the above and no changes were needed, temporarily disable Use SSL to see if a new email will send.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried sending an email with SSL disenabled and then switched it back on and tried again. It still won't send it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still no joy with sending emails.

Ok,

you mention your husband has an email account on the iPad. Does he use the same email provider?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it's my account but I got fed up with a packed inbox all the time, so I gave him a separate identity Can't remember now how I did it. We each have an ipad. His is fine but then he only goes into his email. He seems to have no trouble sending from himself.

Can you compare the settings on each account to see what might be different between the two (other than email address and password obviously)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only difference I can see is that Colin' description under the IMAP account information box is his emial address and mine was just btinternet.com so I have now put my email address, i.e. *****@******.***. However, as I said, the mail.btinternet.com under 'other SMTP servers is greyed out and when I have a look at the detail, that's all greyed out too. Your last two messages have come through on the ipad but I have deleted the last one which I tried to send. Hope that was right.

Ok, the description shouldn't make a difference.

Is the Primary SMTP server greyed out or just the other one? If just the one one then that's fine.

Are they both listed as IMAP accounts?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The primary SMIP server is not greyed out. The only IMAP account is mine. I have to go into SMIP on the outgoing mail server box to find Colin.

The 'Account' box looks like this:

IMAP ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Name Felicitie Derry Sykes (dark lettering)

Email *****@******.*** (greyed lettering)

Description *****@******.*** (dark lettering)

Password nine dark dots

INCOMING MAIL SERVER

Host Name mail.btinternet.com

Password Nine dark dots

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER

SMTP mail.btinternet.com (greyed lettering)

Advanced

Hope this helps.

When you say you only see your husband's account under SMTP server, does he not have an email account set up on this iPad under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. The only account is mine. He has a separate identity within my account.

I'm talking about strictly on your iPad, not the billing account with your email provider.

If the only account on your iPad is yours, then I need you to delete the other SMTP server on your iPad that you say is using his sign-in credentials.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do I do that? I am offered the option to delete my account but when I go into the second outgoing server via 'other SMIP servers', which is all greyed out, even if I move the little sliding button on the right opposite 'Server' to 'on from 'off that's all it does and then it slides back again on its own. There has never been a problem before and we are talking last September when he was able to access emails under colin.m.sykes within my account.

You originally said there was the Primary SMTP Server and then two other SMTP Servers listed and you deleted one of them. Are you not able to delete this one in the same way?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It won't let me. There is a mssage on the bottom which says:

This server cannot be modified because it is the primary outgoing server for the account '*****@******.***'.

JustAnswer blocks email addreses so I can't see the one listed. Is it yours or your husband's that it is listing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mine. Would you like to see it?

No, that's not necessary.

So you are saying this SMTP Server is listed as the Primary Outgoing Server for your own account? Let's step back and start from scratch because something sounds amiss here. If you only have one email account on the iPad then you should not have an extra SMTP server if you deleted the account earlier.

From the home screen, tap Settings.

tap “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”

From the Accounts section, tap your email account.

tap “Delete Account”.

tap “Delete” to confirm.

At this point there should be no email accounts listed in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Correct?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I tap 'delete account' a warning notice comes up:-

"Turn Off Notes

Are you sure you want to continue? All IMAP notes will be removed from your iPad"

This sounds very scary. Should I go ahead?

Did you get this notice the first time you deleted the account?

Do you store Notes on the server via your BT account?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I didn't get this notice the first time around. I have stored notes on the ipad but didn't think they were via the BT account. It's just an ap which says 'Notes' Ah! Now I see that they are connected to accounts. On the left hand side opposite the notes I have been making this month is says:

Accounts

All Notes

Yahoo

*****@******.***

Okay,

chances are it was not turned on for the account originally.

However, if any Notes are on the server this will not delete them so you should be fine.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done that and completed the New Account Box.

I didn't fill in the Description but it came up on its own as Btinternet. Should I now hit 'Next'

After you completed deletion, were no other accounts listed? If so, then you can continue setting it up again now.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've set it up again and no other accounts are listed. I've tried to send an email and its come up with the same message.

The message is now sitting in my outbox with a red exclamation mark with a red circle round it.

It's getting late. Do you want to say that the problem can't be sorted?

Did this account set up as an IMAP account this time?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, just like before.

Does it give you the option to choose POP when setting it up or automatically go with IMAP on it's own?

If the latter, I'd like you to try and trick it as one last effort.

Delete the account one final time, then try setting it up BUT purposely, temporarily, misspell your email address. The iPad should complain and ask for manual settings. Enter the normal server settings and correct your previous misspellings but choose POP instead of IMAP.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried this and a box has come up saying:-

'Do you want to try setting up the acount without SSL?'. Do I say yes or no?

Yes or no should be ok at this point, it should eventually just ask for manual settings.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It hasn't asked for manual settings, just come up with the same old:-

Cannot send Mail

The username or password for 'mail.btinternet.com' is incorrect.

I'm not clear, did you use a misspelled address as suggested? Please try it and misspell btinternet. What we're trying to do here is prevent the iPad from automatically setting up the account as IMAP.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did misspell =, it went to POP and I pressed 'save' but it then came up with a note saying that I wouldn't be able to send or receive emails if I saved. So I went back to the old IMAP because if I can't receive either then I'm really in trouble if I want to use the ipad away from home, which is its main use as my laptop is old and heavy.

Perhaps it would be best if I just made an appointment with Apple and let one of their people play with it.

You've been very helpful but nothing we try seems to work. I think I am doing what you say but maybe it's me or maybe I'm just getting tired.

Ok, I think we just have a small misunderstanding because I didn't know that you had gotten the notice for POP or that you went back to IMAP. I *do* want you to do it as POP, regardless of what it is telling you. We can go back and Edit the settings after the fact, just as we have been doing.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Right - it's now in POP. I have a full inbox again of messages received including yours of 23.42. Shall I do another test email to see if I can send?

Yes, that would be great.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My test email is sitting in my outbox with its little red exclamation mark and circle!

Ugh.

From the home screen, select Settings.

Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

User Name should be your complete, corrected email address
Password should be entered
Use SSL should be enabled*
Authentication should be Password

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's now telling me

The SMTP server 'mail.btinternet.com' is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the 'Outgoing Mail Server' field.

Ok,

what port does it list for the Primary Mail Server?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Same as before I think - 465

If it does, try changing this to 587.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done that.
Any difference?

If none, try turning off Use SSL.

I think that will be my last suggestion as I'm running out of ideas here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've tried that and my laptop has overheated so if that doesn't work I think we have to call it a day. Thank you for trying. I'm sending this on my iPad fingers crossed!
Yes I'm afraid I'm out of ideas on this one, sadly.

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help last night. My laptop decided it had worked long and hard enough so it froze and I couldn't reply to you. I brought in our 'computer man' this afternoon and he's fixed the problem. Apparently it was something about a couple of incorrect numbers in the 'sending' section. I think I would have had to stop anyway because, I don't know where in the world you are but for me it was getting on for 1am and I was getting a but tired!
Anyway, thank you for trying all those hours.

Felicitie
Thanks for the update and you are quite welcome. I'm glad to hear the problem was resolved. Do you happen to know which number he used?

John
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm afraid I don't. I will try to find out and let you know. I expect it was something which you had to be at the computer to see and I can appreciate that it must be very hard to try to solve that sort of problem 'second hand'. If I manage to find out, I'll let you know because it may help you another time.

Thanks again,

Felicitie

Thanks!

John